THE LAST STREETLIGHT

 


THE LAST STREETLIGHT

Intro

Every summer since she was a little girl, Amelia has returned to Swanage.

First with her grandparents.

Then with her parents.

Now, years later, she brings her own husband and seven year old daughter.

Some holidays become traditions.

This one became part of who she was.

The same beach.

The same pier.

The same little cafés.

The same quiet streets where neighbours still leave their front doors unlocked and cars sit with the keys still inside.

That's exactly why Amelia loves it.

It's a world away from city life.

No endless traffic.

No sirens through the night.

No CCTV cameras watching every corner.

No constantly checking over your shoulder.

No worrying whether your car will still be there when you get back.

Just fresh sea air, friendly faces and the comforting feeling that everyone looks out for one another.

It's the sort of place where nothing ever seems to go wrong.

Or at least...

That's what everyone believes.

But this summer, a simple conversation with her mother awakens a memory Amelia didn't even know she'd lost.

A memory that should have stayed forgotten.

Because some places don't keep their secrets by hiding them.

They keep them by waiting for everyone to grow up.

And every night, at exactly 1:00 am...

The last streetlight goes out.


Chapter One

The journey to Swanage always felt longer than it really was.

Not because it was a particularly long drive.

Because they were always so eager to get there.

Amelia had been making the same journey every summer since she was four years old.

Her grandparents had lived in a little cottage overlooking the bay, and every July her parents would pack up the car and spend the entire summer holidays there.

Three months.

July.

August.

September.

Those summers became the happiest memories of Amelia's childhood.

Barefoot walks along the beach.

Ice creams on the promenade.

Searching for fossils beneath the cliffs.

Watching the steam train roll through Corfe Castle.

Building sandcastles that never seemed to survive the tide.

When her grandparents passed away, the cottage was left to Amelia's parents.

They could never bring themselves to sell it.

Instead, they carried on the tradition.

Every summer, they escaped the busy pace of everyday life and spent three months by the sea.

Years passed.

Amelia grew up.

Married Tom.

Had Lily.

Eventually, her parents retired and moved into the cottage permanently.

But one thing never changed.

Every July, Amelia, Tom and Lily packed up the car and drove to Swanage, where they stayed with her parents until the end of September.

As they reached the top of the final hill, the view they had been waiting hours for finally appeared.

The sea sparkled beneath the afternoon sun.

The pier stretched proudly into the bay.

Tiny colourful beach huts lined the promenade.

Beyond them, the cliffs stood exactly as Amelia remembered them.

Tom smiled.

"I don't think I'll ever get tired of that view."

"Neither will I," Amelia replied.

From the back seat, Lily pressed her face against the window.

"We're here!"

"Nearly," Amelia laughed.

"I want to go straight to the beach!"

"So do I."

Amelia hadn't realised she'd said it out loud until Tom smiled at her.

Some places changed with time.

Swanage never seemed to.

And that was exactly why, every summer...

It felt like coming home.


Chapter Two

The first week slipped into its familiar rhythm.

Breakfast in the garden while the gulls argued overhead.

Morning walks along the beach.

Afternoons wandering through little independent shops.

Evenings watching the sun disappear behind the cliffs.

It was everything Amelia remembered.

Nothing ever seemed rushed.

People smiled as they passed.

Shopkeepers greeted customers by name.

Children rode their bikes through the streets while neighbours chatted outside cafés.

Tom couldn't get over it.

"I still don't understand how people leave their doors unlocked."

Amelia smiled.

"They always have."

"It feels like stepping back thirty years."

Later that afternoon, Tom suddenly stopped in the middle of the promenade.

"I've left my wallet in the car."

"So?"

"So... it's sitting on the front seat."

"And?"

"...The car's unlocked."

Amelia shrugged.

"Then it'll still be there."

Tom looked at her as though she'd lost her mind.

Twenty minutes later they returned.

The wallet hadn't moved.

Neither had the car.

An elderly local walking his dog smiled.

"Happens all the time."

Tom shook his head.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this."


Chapter Three

A few evenings later, the family sat on the promenade eating ice creams while the last of the daylight faded across the bay.

One by one, the streetlights flickered into life.

Lily suddenly stopped talking.

She was staring towards the row of lamps stretching along the seafront.

"Mummy?"

Amelia looked down.

"What is it?"

"Why are they all standing there?"

Amelia followed her gaze.

The pavement was empty.

"Who?"

"The children."

"They're under the lights."

Tom smiled.

"I think you've spotted some funny shadows."

Lily shook her head.

"They're not shadows."

She continued watching them.

"They're waiting."

"For what?" Amelia asked.

Lily frowned.

"I don't know."

"They always wait."

Amelia laughed.

"Always?"

Lily nodded confidently.

"As soon as the lights come on."

Before either of them could say another word...

Lily slowly lifted her hand.

And waved.


Chapter Four

That evening, after Lily had gone to bed, Amelia sat in the kitchen with her mum while the kettle boiled.

The windows were open.

The smell of the sea drifted gently inside.

Amelia smiled.

"Lily said the funniest thing earlier."

"Oh?"

"She thought there were children standing beneath the streetlights."

Her mum smiled automatically.

Then...

The smile slowly disappeared.

"You used to say exactly the same thing."

Amelia laughed.

"I did not."

"You did."

"You were about Lily's age."

"Every evening you'd wave at them."

Amelia frowned.

"I honestly don't remember."

"No..."

Her mum whispered.

"I suppose you wouldn't."

She stared absent mindedly into her mug.

"It wasn't until you mentioned Lily..."

"...that I remembered you used to do it."

A silence settled between them.

Finally Amelia asked,

"What did I say they looked like?"

Her mum opened her mouth.

Then closed it again.

"I..."

"I can't remember."

She looked genuinely confused.

"I remember you waving."

"I remember telling you to come away from the window."

"But I can't remember why."

For some reason...

That frightened Amelia more than if her mum had given her an answer.


Chapter Five

The following afternoon, Tom and Lily headed down to the beach to build sandcastles.

Amelia decided to wander through the old streets by herself.

Some of the shops had changed over the years.

Others looked exactly as they always had.

Then she spotted a tiny second hand bookshop tucked between two buildings.

She was certain it had never been there before.

A small brass bell chimed as she stepped inside.

The shop smelled of old paper and polished wood.

An elderly man looked up from behind the counter.

His face lit up.

"Well..."

"I wondered when you'd come back."

Amelia smiled politely.

"I'm sorry?"

"You've been coming here a very long time."

"My grandparents used to live here."

"I know."

He nodded.

"They used to bring you into my old bookshop."

"Your old one?"

"I moved here fifteen years ago."

As Amelia browsed the shelves, the old man spoke again.

"You asked a lot of questions when you were little."

"Oh?"

"You wanted to know who the people under the streetlights were."

Amelia froze.

Very slowly, she turned back towards him.

"I've never told you that."

"No."

"You didn't have to."

He looked out through the shop window towards the promenade.

His smile had vanished.

"Children always see them."

"They just forget."

Amelia felt a chill run down her spine.

"What are you talking about?"

The old man looked back at her.

For a moment, he seemed about to answer.

Instead, he simply said,

"You'll remember soon enough."

As Amelia stepped back into the afternoon sunshine, she glanced towards the nearest streetlight.

There was no one there.

Yet for reasons she couldn't explain...

She had the overwhelming feeling that someone had just smiled at her.


Chapter Six

That evening, Amelia couldn't stop thinking about the old bookshop.

Or the old man.

His words played over and over in her mind.

Children always see them.

They just forget.

It sounded ridiculous.

The sort of story an old man might tell tourists for his own amusement.

Yet something about the way he'd said it unsettled her.

Not dramatic.

Not frightening.

Matter of fact.

As though he wasn't telling a story at all.

Later, while helping Lily brush her teeth, Amelia smiled.

"What did the people under the lights look like?"

Lily shrugged.

"They just look like people."

"Do they ever speak?"

"No."

"What do they do?"

"They wait."

"For what?"

Lily looked genuinely puzzled.

"I don't know."

"They're waiting for someone."

"For you?"

Lily shook her head.

"No."

"For everyone."


Chapter Seven

The following morning Amelia decided to visit the local museum.

She'd been dozens of times as a child.

Little had changed.

Old photographs.

Fishing equipment.

Fossils from the Jurassic Coast.

A display celebrating Swanage during the Victorian era.

One photograph caught her eye.

The promenade.

Taken in 1958.

People strolled along the seafront.

Children played beside the beach.

Then Amelia noticed something odd.

Every single person in the photograph was looking in the same direction.

Towards the streetlights.

Not the sea.

Not the camera.

The lights.

She stepped closer.

There...

Standing beneath the final lamp...

Was the faint outline of someone.

The image was blurred.

Almost transparent.

She looked at the information card beneath it.

Nothing mentioned the figure.

Just:

Swanage Promenade, Summer 1958.

She took a photograph of it on her phone.


Chapter Eight

That afternoon Amelia showed the photograph to her dad.

"Look at this."

He adjusted his glasses.

"What am I looking at?"

"The person."

"What person?"

She pointed.

"There."

He squinted.

"I can't see anyone."

Amelia zoomed in.

The figure was gone.

She frowned.

"I'm sure..."

Nothing.

Only an empty pavement.

Her dad chuckled.

"Too much sea air."

She laughed with him.

But something wasn't right.

She knew what she'd seen.


Chapter Nine

The next evening they sat outside an ice cream parlour watching people stroll along the promenade.

Lily quietly counted the streetlights.

"One..."

"Two..."

"Three..."

She suddenly stopped.

"Mummy."

"What?"

"They've started coming earlier."

Amelia looked up.

The lights had only just switched on.

The pavement looked completely normal.

"Who has?"

"The people."

"There are more tonight."

Tom smiled.

"Maybe they're on holiday too."

Lily didn't smile back.

"They're not."

She lowered her voice.

"They don't like visitors."

A cold breeze drifted in from the sea.

For reasons Amelia couldn't explain...

She suddenly wanted to leave.


Chapter Ten

That night Amelia couldn't sleep.

The cottage was silent.

The only sound was the distant sea through the open bedroom window.

She glanced at the bedside clock.

12:43 am.

Still awake.

She got out of bed and quietly walked downstairs for a glass of water.

As she passed the front window, she paused.

Outside...

The streetlights cast long pools of amber light across the empty road.

The town felt strangely still.

Almost...

Waiting.

She checked the clock again.

12:58 am.

For reasons she couldn't explain, she stayed where she was.

Watching.

One minute passed.

Then another.

The clock quietly changed.

1:00 am.

Without warning...

Every streetlight along the road switched off.

All except one.

The very last streetlight at the end of the road remained glowing.

For another ten seconds.

Five...

Four...

Three...

Two...

One...

It clicked into darkness.

Just before it did...

Amelia saw movement beneath it.

Not a shadow.

Not a trick of the light.

Someone...

Raised a hand.

And waved.


Chapter Eleven

Amelia didn't tell anyone what she'd seen.

Not Tom.

Not her parents.

Not even herself.

By breakfast she had almost convinced herself she'd imagined it.

Almost.

Lily was unusually quiet that morning.

She pushed cereal around her bowl before suddenly asking,

"Mummy..."

"Yes?"

"Did you wave back?"

Amelia froze.

"What do you mean?"

"You waved at them."

"I saw you."

Amelia's heart skipped.

"I didn't wave."

Lily looked confused.

"You did."

"No, sweetheart."

"You lifted your hand."

"And one of them smiled."

Amelia looked at Tom.

He was buttering toast, completely oblivious.

"What are you two talking about?"

"Nothing," Amelia replied quickly.

But it wasn't nothing anymore.

Because she couldn't remember whether she'd waved...

Or not.


Chapter Twelve

Later that afternoon, Amelia returned to the bookshop.

The bell above the door chimed.

The shop was empty.

No elderly man.

Only a young woman arranging books on a shelf.

"Hi," Amelia said.

"I'm looking for the gentleman who owns the shop."

The woman frowned.

"My grandfather?"

"Yes."

"He spoke to me yesterday."

Her smile faded.

"I'm sorry."

"My grandfather passed away twelve years ago."

Amelia laughed awkwardly.

"No..."

"I was here yesterday."

"He was standing behind the counter."

The young woman shook her head.

"I've run this shop since I was nineteen."

"There's never been anyone else."

A chill crawled up Amelia's spine.

She looked towards the counter.

Behind it hung an old framed photograph.

The elderly man smiled back at her.

Exactly as she'd seen him yesterday.

She stepped closer.

Beneath the photograph...

A brass plaque read:

Arthur Collins

1934 to 2013


Chapter Thirteen

That evening Amelia found herself searching through old family photo albums at her parents' house.

Summer after summer.

The same beach.

The same cottage.

The same smiling faces.

Then she noticed something odd.

In almost every photograph taken after sunset...

She was looking away from the camera.

Towards the streetlights.

Sometimes she was smiling.

Sometimes she was waving.

Her mum sat beside her.

"I'd forgotten how many photos we took."

Amelia pointed.

"Why am I always looking over there?"

Her mum leaned closer.

For a long moment she said nothing.

Then quietly whispered,

"I never noticed that before."

She turned another page.

There was Amelia at six.

Again at seven.

Again at eight.

Always looking towards the lights.

Always smiling at someone outside the frame.

Neither of them realised Lily was standing silently behind them.

Looking at exactly the same photographs.

"They're all there."

Amelia turned.

"Who's there?"

Lily pointed towards the pictures.

"The people."


Chapter Fourteen

That night Amelia couldn't sleep.

Just before midnight she quietly left the cottage and walked towards the promenade alone.

The town was silent.

Not unnaturally silent.

Comfortably silent.

The sort of silence only small seaside towns ever seemed to have.

She reached the row of streetlights.

Nothing.

Empty pavements.

Empty benches.

The sea gently lapped against the shore.

Her phone buzzed.

A message from Tom.

Where are you?

She replied.

Couldn't sleep. Just getting some air.

As she slipped the phone back into her pocket...

A child's laughter echoed somewhere behind her.

She spun around.

Nobody.

Then she heard another sound.

Footsteps.

Not approaching.

Walking beside her.

Keeping perfect pace.

She stopped.

The footsteps stopped.

She started walking again.

So did they.

Always just outside her line of sight.


Chapter Fifteen

The church clock struck one.

The streetlights switched off together.

Except one.

The last streetlight remained glowing at the end of the promenade.

This time...

Amelia didn't look away.

As the darkness settled around her, figures slowly appeared beneath every lamp she'd walked past.

Children.

Dozens of them.

None moved.

None spoke.

They simply stood there.

Watching.

Waiting.

The final streetlight flickered.

One small girl stepped forward.

She couldn't have been older than seven.

She wore a bright yellow raincoat.

Exactly like the one Amelia had worn as a child.

The little girl smiled.

Then quietly asked,

"Do you remember us yet?"

Before Amelia could answer...

The last streetlight went out.

Complete darkness swallowed the promenade.

When the lights returned a few moments later...

Every figure had disappeared.

All except one.

Standing exactly where the little girl had been...

Was Amelia's own childhood teddy bear.

The one she'd accidentally left on Swanage beach...

Twenty nine years earlier.


Chapter Sixteen

Amelia picked up the teddy bear with trembling hands.

The faded blue ribbon was still tied around its neck.

One button eye was missing.

Her name was stitched clumsily across its little jumper.

Amelia.

She hadn't seen it since she was seven.

Everyone had searched the beach for hours.

Her grandad had even returned the following morning at low tide.

It had never been found.

Until now.

She ran home clutching it tightly.

Her mum stared at the bear.

Colour drained from her face.

"I buried this."

Amelia looked up.

"What?"

Her mum swallowed hard.

"The day we couldn't find it..."

"...you wouldn't stop crying."

"You kept saying the little girl had given it back to you."

Amelia felt her stomach tighten.

"I don't remember that."

"I know."

"You wouldn't let anyone touch it."

"You kept saying..."

Her mum's voice cracked.

'She said I can keep it until next summer.'

The room fell silent.

"I thought you'd imagined the whole thing."

"So I waited until you were asleep."

"I bought another teddy that looked almost identical."

"And I buried this one in your grandparents' garden."

"Why?"

"Because every time you held it..."

"...you'd stand at the window waiting for someone."

Her eyes filled with tears.

"I thought if it disappeared..."

"...you'd finally forget."

She looked at the teddy lying in Amelia's hands.

"I buried it myself."

"I watched your father fill the hole."

"I never told anyone."

A long silence followed.

Finally Amelia whispered,

"Then how..."

Neither of them finished the question.

Because if the teddy really had been buried...

Who had left it beneath the last streetlight?


Chapter Seventeen

The following morning, Amelia walked to the old church overlooking the town.

Her grandad used to bring her there every Sunday before they bought ice creams on the promenade.

An elderly priest was tending flowers outside.

He looked up and smiled warmly.

"You look troubled."

"I need to ask you something."

He listened quietly as Amelia explained everything.

The streetlights.

The waving figures.

The bookshop.

The teddy bear.

He didn't interrupt once.

When she had finished, he simply nodded.

"I wondered how long it would be before someone remembered."

Amelia stared.

"You know about them?"

"I knew people who remembered."

"My grandmother remembered."

"My father remembered."

"I remembered..."

"...until I turned nine."

Amelia frowned.

"What are they?"

The priest looked out across the sea.

"We've spent centuries asking the wrong question."

"What should we be asking?"

"Not who they are..."

"...but why they stay."

He rested one hand on the old stone wall.

"This town has always been different."

"Long before it became a seaside resort."

"Long before the railway."

"Long before these streets."

He smiled gently.

"People once believed children could see things adults had forgotten."

"Not ghosts."

"Not monsters."

"Memories."

"The kind that belong to every generation."

Amelia listened without speaking.

"The children beneath the streetlights are real."

"They laugh."

"They play."

"They make friends."

"They wait."

"But they only reveal themselves to children..."

"...or to adults who are beginning to remember."

"Remember what?"

"The day the world stopped feeling magical."

He sighed softly.

"Every child reaches that day."

"Most never realise it has happened."

"They wake one morning..."

"...and the figures beneath the lights are simply gone."

"The streetlights become ordinary."

"And by the following summer..."

"...they're convinced none of it was ever real."

"But why would that happen?"

"Because some memories are too heavy for a child's heart to carry forever."

He looked directly into Amelia's eyes.

"But sometimes..."

"A place."

"A photograph."

"A forgotten promise."

"Or someone who never stopped waiting..."

"...can bring those memories back."

Amelia swallowed.

"I think they've been waiting for you."

"For me?"

He nodded.

"Some promises cannot be forgotten forever."

As Amelia turned to leave, the priest called after her.

"When the last streetlight stays lit tonight..."

"...don't be afraid."

"This time..."

"...listen."

"How do you know it'll stay on?"

The priest smiled.

"Because it always does..."

"...when someone is finally ready to remember."


Chapter Eighteen

That night, Amelia returned to the promenade alone.

She wasn't afraid anymore.

She simply needed answers.

The church clock began to chime.

One.

The streetlights flickered out together.

All except one.

The last streetlight remained glowing at the far end of the promenade.

One by one, figures appeared beneath the lamps.

Children.

Parents.

Grandparents.

Silent.

Watching.

Waiting.

Then the little girl in the yellow raincoat stepped forward.

Amelia felt tears prick her eyes.

"Who are you?"

The little girl smiled.

"You used to know."

Images burst into Amelia's mind.

Two little girls chasing each other across the beach.

Collecting shells.

Building sandcastles.

Laughing until sunset.

Sharing ice cream beneath the pier.

The yellow raincoat.

The blue teddy bear.

Amelia gasped.

"...Emily?"

The little girl nodded.

"I was your first best friend."

"You... drowned."

"I did."

The words caught in Amelia's throat.

"I forgot you."

Emily smiled gently.

"You had to."

"If you hadn't..."

"...you would have carried that day for the rest of your life."

Amelia's tears fell freely.

"But you're still here."

Emily looked around at the others beneath the lights.

"We all are."

"We're the children who never got to grow up."

"We stay where our happiest memories were made."

"We're not trapped."

"We choose to stay."

"We watch over the children who come after us."

"We remind them that the world is full of wonder."

"And when they're ready to grow..."

"...they forget us."

Amelia whispered,

"So Lily will forget too?"

Emily nodded sadly.

"Just as you did."


Chapter Nineteen

The following morning Amelia sat with her mum in the garden.

"I remembered."

Her mum slowly looked up.

"What?"

"Emily."

The colour drained from her face.

For a long moment she said nothing.

Then she quietly nodded.

"There were two of you every summer."

"You and Emily."

"She stayed with her grandmother just along the coast."

"You were inseparable."

Her mum smiled through tears.

"I used to joke that if one of you was muddy..."

"...the other would be too."

Amelia squeezed the mug in her hands.

"What happened?"

"There was a storm."

"You both ran down to the beach before anyone realised."

"You were found."

"Emily wasn't."

Silence settled between them.

"The weeks afterwards were unbearable."

"You cried every day."

"You waited by the window every evening."

"You kept saying Emily was standing beneath the last streetlight."

"I thought grief had simply become too much for you."

"So when you forgot..."

"...we let you."

"We packed away every photograph with Emily in it."

"We buried the teddy."

"We never spoke her name again."

Amelia looked towards the sea.

"You thought you were protecting me."

Her mum nodded.

"I still do."

Amelia reached across the table and held her hand.

"You did."

Then Lily appeared in the doorway.

"Mummy..."

"They're saying goodbye."

Amelia looked towards the promenade.

For the first time...

She could see the figures beneath the streetlights before sunset.

Emily was among them.

Smiling.


Chapter Twenty

Summer always ended too quickly.

The car was packed.

Hugs were shared.

The familiar drive home began.

Lily waved through the rear window until the cottage disappeared from sight.

Amelia looked back one last time.

The final streetlight stood alone beside the road leading out of Swanage.

Beneath it stood Emily.

And beside her...

All the others.

Children from different generations.

Some dressed in clothes from decades past.

Some she recognised from old photographs in the museum.

All quietly waving.

Amelia raised her hand.

"I won't forget you," she whispered.

Emily smiled.

And despite the distance between them as she drove away she heard her as if she was standing right next to her.

"You don't need to."

"You remembered."

"And that's all I ever wanted."

The last streetlight finally went dark.

As the car disappeared over the hill, Amelia smiled through her tears.

She knew the memories would fade again with time.

Not completely.

Not this time.

She might forget Emily's voice.

She might forget the colour of her raincoat.

She might even begin to wonder whether any of it had really happened.

But she would never again believe that childhood wonder was simply imagination.

Somewhere beneath the last streetlight...

Emily was still there.

Waiting.

Not for Amelia.

But for the next child who looked up at dusk...

Saw someone standing beneath the light...

And waved.

Comments

Popular Posts